Tuesday, February 19, 2013

First Impression: New (For Me) MacBook

Tuesday, February 19, 2013. 12:01 a.m.

I bought a used MacBook tonight. So far it works great. The Apple iOS looks easy to use. I’ve only had it for about 10 minutes and the first thing I cared about finding was how to use Microsoft Word so I could type. My last laptop didn’t have a typing program installed when I got it, so being able to type is really important for me. It looks like all the programs I’ll need are installed, which I’m very excited about because it means I won’t have to fiddle around online trying to buy them from Apple.

Today was an adventure in anger management. I was planning to get up at 2:30 p.m. and catch the next bus to Omaha. Everything went smoothly until I got to the Taco Bell where I had arranged to meet the MacBook seller. I woke up at 12:06 p.m. and I didn’t feel tired enough to go back to sleep so I got up, had some food, and watched some YouTube videos until 2 p.m. I thought the bank would be closed, so I headed for the ATM to withdraw $400.00 to pay for the MacBook. When I got to the bank, there was an SUV in the drivethru. The bank was open on Presidents’ Day. Not cool, but I went in, withdrew the money, got a little slip with my remaining bank balance, and got $5.00 in quarters to make sure I had enough for bus fare.

On the way out to 84th & Center, I got some great pictures to post on Instagram @cricketsbay. The bus ride was interesting because the driver is probably the only one in Omaha who does the old-time trolley driver routine where he announces every stop like Bob Barker on The Price Is Right. I think there are 150 stops on that route. I posted the “Beazles. Contagious Like Measles” tweet that I do almost every time I’m at the Bergen Transfer Center. It was a little cold waiting for the bus, but not too bad. It was after the bus ride that the problems started.

When I got to the place I was supposed to meet the guy to buy the MacBook. He called and asked for directions. I’m glad he wasn’t going South when I told him to keep going on 84th Street. He got to the Taco Bell, opened the laptop, turned it on, and explained that he had just erased the hard drive and re-installed the iOS. And then we sat there for about 5 minutes waiting for the MacBook to go through its startup routine. He turned it off before it was done. It had nothing but a grey screen when he turned it back on. He called some guy who is more familiar than he is with Apple computers. The guy said he would have to re-install the iOS again. So, the MacBook seller and I parted ways with plans to meet up later after he fixed the hard drive. It sounded like the guy on the phone was in charge and the guy in front of me was just the errand boy because he asked the seller if my MacBook was the last one and then told him to give me his girlfriend’s MacBook, which the seller refused because her homework for college is all stored on the hard drive of her MacBook. Then the seller asked if he could give me the disk or disks to re-install the iOS myself and the guy on the phone was was kinda loud in his refusal on that. Apparently they re-sell a lot of MacBooks. Hmmm … It was kinda weird.

I got a call two hours later saying the hard drive was shot. He had to buy a new one. Oh, boy. So I said right out that I was not paying more than the advertised price. The ruined hard drive was 80GB. The new one is 250GB, so I’m happy with that. The MacBook seller was very understanding. When he delivered it, I said I appreciate that he replaced the hard drive and didn’t try to charge me extra. He said he thinks he had accidentally smacked this MacBook into a wall when he was carrying it and that’s what killed the hard drive, so he blames himself--as he should.

So far, this MacBook works great, but I’ve only booted it up, scrolled along the icons at the bottom to see what programs are installed, and opened Microsoft Windows. The seller did show me how to access the programs using the menu and how to safely shut down the computer. If I have questions, I’ll probably find a tutorial on YouTube.

My MackBook is white. It has the Snow Leopard iOS, which I think is 10.7. I looked it up on Google today. I think it has all the programs I’m going to need for my business, YouTube, and any job I might get in the near future. I’m excited to try out the webcam tomorrow. I’m used to using and IBM Thinkpad, so the way the mouse works on the MacBook is new for me and I’m trying to get the hang of it. I think I got it for a great price. I have been scammed by a laptop seller before, but this time I don’t think there will be a probem. I’m so glad to have a new laptop that actually looks like it’s going to do everything I need it to do. I was not able to play DVD’s or CD’s on either of my 2 most recent laptops because they didn’t have the necessary software installed and I could not get it to install. I still don’t know if this MacBook is going to be okay, but it does look good so far, but having been scammed before I’m still worried. I will test it out tomorrow, though, and if anything is wrong, there’s always the Apple store, although I don’t know how much help they’ll be to someone who bought a MacBook on the secondary market.

I’m looking forward to editing my photographs and having plenty of space to store them all on the hard drive. The hard drive died on my first laptop with about 5, 000 photos on it, so I know the importance of backing up the hard drive online. I was using Picasa at the time, so all my photos were online already and I didn’t lose them when the hard drive crashed. Picasa and LunaPic are the only programs I’m familiar with for editing photos, so I hope they work well with this MacBook. I can’t wait to find out. My next step is to get signed up for wireless Internet service through Cox. I am so happy right now. The job I’m trying to get requires a laptop and wireless Internet, so I’m prepared if I do get hired. Tonight I’m going to try out the DVD player. I’m so nervous it’s not going to work.

12:43 p.m.

Tammy
Thanks for Reading, Everyone. Have Fun and Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment